On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM, Enrico Colombini <erix@erix.it> wrote:
> Don't look at me: I use C when I want just that :-)
> (and the "error-prone" concept is quite depending on context)

In many ways, Lua is the C of the dynamic languages: lean, fast and
(occaisionally) mean.  In both cases you are expected to find your own
batteries.

For beginners, I would even suggest a Lua environment where 'strict'
is the default - and then they will quickly learn to use 'local'
everywhere!  Sounds sadistic, but sloppiness in one's youth leads to
messes in adulthood.

But we would also want them to have access to some well-curated set of
packages, a good IDE and comprehensive documentation, which is why the
Batteries project is so important.