On 20/03/2013 7.19, William Sumner wrote:
Going by the responses, I think many actually do disagree that it's a
legitimate issue,

I certainly disagree: I like this simple and clean design decision very much and I use it to my advantage (e.g. v = t2[t1[k]] ). If I need a 'safe' table access for non-professional scripters, I can build it. So I really can't see a problems here.

lots of people blame C for its error-prone access to raw memory

Don't look at me: I use C when I want just that :-)
(and the "error-prone" concept is quite depending on context)

--
  Enrico