On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Also the fact that it has its own git implementation completely in Lua
> (even if it's limited in functionality to what's directly needed) is a
> plus.  It avoids a non-trivial dependency (and that's an issue for
> almost any choice of distribution format).

Indeed! I've been evalulating the Windows Batteries zip from LuaDist
and it comes with the luadist command.

D:\dev\lua\scratch> luadist install winapi
Downloading repository information...
Finding out available versions of winapi...
Getting winapi-1.4.2 (binary)...
Installation successful.

Speedily downloads modules, and most of the C extensions out there are
already compiled correctly for the platform.  Plus, none of that
messing around with proxy settings.  So colour me impressed.

> methods are brain-dead, etc), but I totally agree with this.  There
> really don't seem to be many practical alternatives if you want a
> build system that will pre-generate build files for both unixy systems
> and windows.

Yes, often in engineering we cannot always apply both 'competent' and
'beautiful' to a useful project ;)