Andrew Starks <andrew.starks@trms.com> writes:
> On Git (and GitHub): Implementation detail. I don't think of git as
> the source control, in this context. I think of it as the module
> distribution and management system. Git is a fine technology choice
> and I'm having trouble thinking of a simpler way to do it across
> platform.

Also the fact that it has its own git implementation completely in Lua
(even if it's limited in functionality to what's directly needed) is a
plus.  It avoids a non-trivial dependency (and that's an issue for
almost any choice of distribution format).

> On CMake: Again, it's a reasonable choice. Back when it was made,
> was there any other reasonable choice? Now, one could argue that
> Lake or Premake4.3 could be beaten into submission. Too late now and
> from what I can see, there isn't anything all that wrong with
> CMake. Looking at the instructions for making a Lua module, it
> doesn't seem that hard to me. [1]
>
> Basically, it works really well and it has the huge feature of being
> an *implemented decision*. It's here now. Since there is nothing
> that is glaringly wrong with it, it seems like a decent enough
> project to rally around.

I hate cmake (it's ... slow, clunky, obscure, its auto-configuration
methods are brain-dead, etc), but I totally agree with this.  There
really don't seem to be many practical alternatives if you want a
build system that will pre-generate build files for both unixy systems
and windows.  Cmake is widely used and as a result, tends to (more or
less) work, people are familiar with it, it's probably a much better
bet to be maintained for a while, etc.

I love the idea of premake, but my experiences trying to build
packages that use it have been miserable; it really didn't seem ready
for prime time...

-miles

--
Americans are broad-minded people.  They'll accept the fact that a person can
be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if