On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:18 AM, Owen Shepherd <owen.shepherd@e43.eu> wrote:
> Lua file objects wrap C "FILE" streams. Lua Socket sockets are (I assume)
> also implemented on top of these.

The socket objects wrap the descriptor itself, so that's why Paul
could get away with it. But generally mixing runtimes is a recipe for
crashes, (or worse, weird behaviour). Because ultimately they use
different memory allocators...

One more reason I'm happy that Lua for Windows is moving to the mingw
standard.  MSVC users have to rebuild anyway (because who can get a
MSVC 2005 compiler these days?) and if they're serious then LuaDist
can build the world for them.

steve d.