settings = { color = config.admin?.color }  --> settings.color = _SAFE userdata now, instead of nil

Here, I think, my definitions would imply:

  settings = {color = (config.admin or _SAFE).color }  -- > settings.color = nil

So this use case should be fine.  But perhaps I should stop gossiping on the list about this, and just code it up :)  Then we'll know for sure how it behaves.

In particular, I'm starting to worry about cases like:

  name.first .. name?.last

where the semantics would depend on the priority of the ? operator.

-Sven