On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Javier Guerra Giraldez
<javier@guerrag.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What we do need is something like Amazon's user review
>> system. I need say a json reader, the LuaWiki lists several and
>> it's really hard to figure out which to try first. It's not going be the
>> same for everyone. But with a user review system I can see
>> which product gets a good rating from people with my sort of
>> setup.
>

> that reminds me of djangopackages.org, a great way to choose add-on
> modules for Django projects (a Pythono web app framework).  the
> authors created opencomparison.org, which offers "free subdomains to
> open-source languages, web frameworks, and other projects."   it's
> still somewhat Python centric, and seems to favor pypi-installable
> packages, so it might not work out of the box for Lua, but there are
> some good ideas to mull over:
>
> besides the clasification, what i use most is the repository activity
> graph, which pulls data from github and bitbucket.  it makes it easy
> to weed out abandonware.  now, it has already been noted that Lua
> mature modules have very little changes without detriment to quality.
>
> another useful stat is the number of projects using it..... not sure
> how it would translate to Lua
>
> --
> Javier

Some kind of community editorial system is really important. It's good
for both the package writer and the community. Feedback, is always
good, especially in a community that supports good manners.

I'd also advocate for some standards, where they would provide
exponential benefit. As a starting point, I might suggest:

A brief description
Works with Lua 5.2
Works on Windows, Linux and Mac (what Windows and Linux means would
need to be defined by smarter people than me)
LuaDoc (LDoc) documentation for all consumed interfaces.
One quick tutorial that brings the package user from installation to first use.
[test coverage] (this one might be more difficult to automate)

Maybe the most critical aspect is the "just" part that Steve
mentioned. How can this be done, as close to "right now" as possible,
without swallowing too much?

You know what I'm a huge fan of? Drupal. Getting a Drupal site going
would be relatively simple and one can always migrate later. I might
be ignorant of a Lua alternative that would include modules for
voting, etc.

-Andrew