On Feb 27, 2013, at 20:02, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> Craig Barnes <craigbarnes85@gmail.com> writes:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/356160/which-game-scripting-language-is-better-to-use-lua-or-python
>
> Great answer, and also a great example of control-freaky overly
> pedantic stackexchange mods (SE is something that I _want_ to like, it
> just seems a great _idea_, but in practice, I always seem to end up
> with a bad taste in my mouth when I go there)...
>
> -miles
>
> --
> Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
> the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.

Miles,

Maybe I'm just grasping for harmony here, but to say that Linus, the
'L' in Linux, doesn't play a critical role in that community's
success, and that he doesn't do so by picking winners and losers from
time to time is revisionist, at best. Ex: github, the scheduler...,

I hope that my low-rent literary flourishes aren't looming too large
here. My point was not about bossy jerks wrecking a harmonious
community is a cure-all. It was about the observation that the lack of
enforced... anything, suits the world that Lua serves very well:
people who need to control the abstractions and define their own
micro-environments.

When promoting Lua to *anyone* who doesn't already know what it is
for, is made difficult by the almost non-existent "the front door is
here" structure of its web presence and... ahem... organically
maintained "standard" library (not speaking of ipairs, getmetatable,
etc.)

Look:

1: Lua great. Bring your own batteries? Awesome for core purpose.
2: People who are smart won't always look past the fact that, for
example, the closest-thing-to-blessed database library boasts in its
latest "what's new" history log: Brand new support for Lua 5.1in
version 2.1.1, (circa 2007)
3: There are advantages to having someone curate a specified portion
of the ecosystem, in this case: desktop scripting.

-Andrew