On Feb 12, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2013/2/12 William Sumner <prestonsumner@me.com>:
>
>> Lua's utility as a configuration language makes syntax an end-user feature.
>
> You don't need to stop at what the Lua standalone handles out of the box.
> Your own program can be written in Lua and accept configuration information
> in quite a large selection of formats. A well-known format and a good format
> are, in that order:
>
> opt1 = json [[
> ]]
>
> opt2 = yaml [[
> ]]

Despite all that stuff I wrote about syntax, I believe in dealing with one language's quirks at a time. :) I prefer using 100% Lua for consistency's sake, and for documentation's sake. However, this is a great solution if you need those formats.

I should also say that it wasn't my intent to criticize Lua. Just to make the point that I believe it's justified to debate syntax now and then since the language is often exposed to end users.

Preston