----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sean Conner" <sean@conman.org>
>
>   Actually, C (C89 and later) *does* allow alternatives to the
>   following
> characters:
>
> 	#
> 	\
> 	^
> 	[
> 	]
> 	{
> 	}
> 	~
> 	`
>
>   They are, in the order above:
>
> 	??=
> 	??/
> 	??'
> 	??(
> 	??)
> 	??!
> 	??{
> 	??}
> 	??-
>
>   Not the prettiest substitutions, but at least C makes the attempt.
>
>   -spc (Although I'm not sure if any Obsfucted C Code Contest entries
>   ever
> 	used them ... )

Using them is practically all you need to do to make an entry for the Obfusticated C Code. :-)

I remember some european/swedish versions of Pascal allowed (* *) for comments instead of { } and (. .) instead of [ ] because these characters were used as the swedish characters ä å and Ä Å. Terminals actually used the same ascii codes for swedish characters. Those were the days.

Robert