I'd like to do a quick poll to see whether Lua is used as a language for data representation.
If you know of such uses, please mail me some details.

We use Lua table format for data representation for various things, including our "Comp" (composition project) file format, our bin/library/asset tracking format, and other things.

Having said that, I found it necessary to modify it to allow for ordered tables (which would have equally been an issue with JSON of course), and to extend the allowed constant table and table constructor numbers allowed, as we were easily overflowing them with complex rotoscoping animations.

I'm not sure I can provide an external link to documentation for said formats; but I can provide some samples if you like?

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday
eyeon Software