On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM, Philipp Janda <siffiejoe@gmx.net> wrote:
> Sometimes it's not easy to modify the user's code, so some C people leave
> the asserts in place even for production code.

 C.A.R. Hoare wrote that turning off asserts in the field is analogous
to taking the lifeboats off a cruise ship before it sets sail on the
open ocean.

Well, fair enough.  Actually, I was not trying to be funny or
side-ways - the current common usages of assert() make it hard to add
an extra argument without interesting consequences for existing code.

So invent a new one with the desired property, basically.  But
assigning it to the global assert can be problematic.

steve d.