On 05/12/2012 18:10, Coda Highland wrote:
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
If the whole point of your proposed library is to treat e.g â (u00E2)
and â (u0061u0302) as denoting the same character, then I do not have
anything to contribute.  They look visibly different in all three
fonts currently on my screen (the second form looks worse in
three different ways: accent too small, accent too high, accent
too low).

Then you have a crappy font renderer. A GOOD renderer treats composed
characters like ligatures -- it'll assemble the components if it has
to but it'll prefer to use a precomposed glyph if it's available.
(Likewise, the ligature "fi" has a specialized glyph in some fonts.)
On my screen those two characters are indistinguishable.

/s/ Adam

That's the case for me too. One can even hand-compose inexistent characters (such as eg greek alphabet with latin-only diacritics) and have them properly rendered. However, i use fonts of the DejaVu series which have a rather wide unicode covering (still, only BMP, and I guess not all BMP).

Denis