> Functions to conveniently access the whole thing from the C side could
> be added without breaking things, e.g.
> [...]

I do not see how this proposal is simpler than the current
one. Certainly it is more compatible, but this is a common trade-off: to
add new functions/operations/types to avoid incompatibilities. (Adding
stuff hardly causes incompatibilites.) In Lua, we usually accept small
incompatibilites to keep the language small.

Moreover, it does not address the other part of the current proposal:
to make Lua better for small platforms with no hardware support for
doubles.

-- Roberto