On 11/9/2012 2:15 AM, Marc Lepage wrote:
I have four kids to teach programming. I haven't really started
yet, but I have talked about the "boxes and stuff you put in
boxes" analogy. The easiest way to do this is with actual boxes
and stuff on a table (a real one, not a Lua one).

+1 for Lua on LÖVE and tinkering.

Back in the old days, the VIC-20 user guide started you on programming with a number of steps -- first it was the classic two-liner, then how to stop it, then simple input, then the user guide offered up a longish bouncing ball program (breakout without the walls) -- graphical, sorta substantial, and a kid with basic maths knowledge can study and tinker with it. Linus Torvalds probably went through the same pages of the user guide on his VIC-20.

The difficulty level was nicely tuned to the kind of kids Commodore was showing in their advertising. The bouncing ball program was not trivial to the kid, but with some effort, it can be understood with minimal help from adults (== a sense of accomplishment) and then modified (== more accomplishment).

Significantly, the user guide didn't waste any time, it gave the kid something that worked (and looked like Breakout's ball) that is slightly above his/her level. There was no need to teach any keyword, syntax or structure -- the kid can guess or infer much of the program's operation (== an important learning mechanism). Learning BASIC properly came later.

Of course, the Raspberry Pi people are trying to reproduce this kind of magic, but kids these days are hard to impress. It would be interesting to see the education stuff the Raspberry Pi people are working on.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Tim Mensch wrote:

    On 11/8/2012 10:53 AM, David Given wrote:
    >  It's much easier to think of this as *all* values being
    passed by
    >  reference... it's just that numbers, like strings, are
    immutable and
    >  cannot be changed.

    We may need a beginner to test your theory on, but I am
    extremely skeptical.
[snip snip]

--
Cheers,