On 18/10/12 14:30, Sam Roberts wrote:
/dev/ttyUSB0 isn't a file.
Aaaaaah, I see.

As a user application, where i'm standing, they ARE files. I find them in folders, "ls" shows them, and i have to open them, getting a file descriptor. "File" for me is the abstraction so named by the unix designers ("everything is a file, etc."). I do recognize that there are several types of files, and i can check it doing "ls -l". My perspective is from outside, and finishes at the API. And for me that means that there are files, sockets and pipes, and that's it.

Jorge