Am 06.10.12 22:30, schrieb Peter Drahoš:

> On 6 Oct, 2012, at 20:40 , Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai@gmail.com
> <mailto:rpusztai@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 5, 2012 1:49 PM, "Marc Balmer" <marc@msys.ch
>> <mailto:marc@msys.ch>> wrote:
>> >

>> > imo, luasql is only good if you do simple, cross platform
>> applications.  if you want to do serious PostgreSQL stuff, you are
>> much better off with my luapgsql binding that you will find on github.
>> >
>> > that said, I tested the postgres connectore and it worked for me. it
>> is just more or less useless, imo ;)
>>
>> Well I am working with a cross-platform application that is already
>> written for LuaSQL, so I don't see the point. Also is another Postgres
>> binding available using LuaDist?
>>
> Not at the moment, just point me to one that works for you and I will
> add it, best approach is to submit a new module request to issues [1].
> However the crash is related to libpq.dll (postgres connector interface)
> which would affect both packages at the moment so this needs to be fixed
> anyway.

While LuaSQL is fine for simple applications, it lacks some more
advanced functionality and as it is cross database, it can only take
advantage of certain database specific features in a limited way.
Usually you can only use the lowest common denominator with such layers
of abstraction.

(e.g. my problem at hand with LuaSQL was, that I found no proper way to
determine the database server status, i.e. if the database connection is
still valid.)

For real applications I think it is best to decide which database to use
and then use its feature set.  That is why I created luapgsql
(https://github.com/mbalmer/luapgsql) in the first place.  It allows me
to use all kind of PostgreSQL features.

- Marc Balmer