On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:22 AM, Tom <tmbdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know about Octave or NumPy, but R has most of the low-level
>> number-crunching implemented in C, C++ or FORTRAN at compile time.
>> Wrapping C/C++/FORTRAN/Objective C libraries into R code is
>> well-documented and has been for a long time.
>

> Indeed.  And R (like those other languages) has a built-in standard typed
> array data type so that all those different libraries can actually exchange
> data efficiently and easily.  Since I have some numerical and image
> processing libraries that I have bound to Lua, I was simply asking whether
> there was interest in defining a simple standard for Lua.

Build it and see, I am sure there is.

I built a quick mockup a while back, in LuaJIT based on the Go array
model https://github.com/justincormack/slice

The main thing if you don't use Luajit is finding a way to describe
the types, which is a fair amount of work, while you get this for free
in LuaJIT.

Justin