I don't know about Octave or NumPy, but R has most of the low-level
number-crunching implemented in C, C++ or FORTRAN at compile time.
Wrapping C/C++/FORTRAN/Objective C libraries into R code is
well-documented and has been for a long time.

Indeed.  And R (like those other languages) has a built-in standard typed array data type so that all those different libraries can actually exchange data efficiently and easily.  Since I have some numerical and image processing libraries that I have bound to Lua, I was simply asking whether there was interest in defining a simple standard for Lua.

Tom