On 09/24/2012 11:17 PM, Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
The re-query overhead is a bigger deal than the spawn overhead, in
light of the other comments that have been made in the thread. ;) I
mean, a really slim inetd-based server can do the job efficiently
enough, so there's gotta be more than that to make it a big deal.

also remember that Hipp's programs are some of the tightest C programs
out there (SQLite, Fossil...), while most web developers use heavy
runtimes (Ruby, Python, Java) that take very significant times before
starting to run any user's code.

On top of that, most frameworks have to gather all the data model
classes, URL maps, database connections, etc.   doing all this just
once is a huge advantage over the once-per-request mandated by classic
CGI

in short: CGI is great if you program your webapps in C (or Lua!)
without any MVC framework.  If not, FastCGI is much better.

Yep that is a really good summarization. There are certainly benefits in using nginx the extra code is not for nothing and yet it is so much smaller than Apache and yet the single file server is smaller than nginx.

It all boils down to what one wants to do and use. I like: small, fast and reliable very much and from what I read nginx fits the bill ... everything is a point of view.

I will poke around and make my choice, educated decisions are better than believing the hype/prevailing opinion ... and then again with time and different requirement a lot of things change.

I am really happy though that there are options and things look interesting.

Best,
George