>  Like that, except that the "something" should come from a socket, and
> Lua should enter "assert(loadstring(something))()-mode" whenever it's
> idle - maybe even when it's waiting for (local) input in its REPL...

There are socket-based debuggers that do just that. I've been
developing MobDebug (based on RemDebug) that allows one to open a
socket connection and send commands to the client, including "EXEC
command" commands that effectively does loadstring(command) on the
client side. It also returns the error back if the execution fails
(either at compile or run-time). The only thing it does not do is to
intercept "print" commands to send the results back.

The code for MobDebug is on github
(https://github.com/pkulchenko/MobDebug); the documentation with
examples is also there
(https://github.com/pkulchenko/MobDebug/blob/master/examples/README).

Paul.

ZeroBrane Studio - slick Lua IDE and debugger for Windows, OSX, and
Linux - http://studio.zerobrane.com/