Philippe, thanks for the reply.
so i am been programming in Basic for over 38 years.
my first computer had a version of basic hand-coded by bill gates, in the 1970's.

yes, it is true that visual basic does require the use of an IDE but visual basic for application does have a interactive console.
yes, i use print() and that works  and only for people who cannot do edit-and-continue are doomed to be punished with just print().
not a very nice solution when i am trying to teach programming concepts to children.

lol, i used to program using punch cards on an ibm mainframe, perhaps we should downgrade back to that, who needs keyboards anyway...

since i first asked my question, and based on some posts and doing some research, edit-and-continue can in fact be done for Lua from the interactive console.

it is much more then a crutch or convenience.
anybody that has not tried it should not trivialize it.
all the more so for Lua.
Lua is designed to be a embedded solution, often used by non-programmers.
for example, arrays indexes start from 1, not zero.

you should take a look at the posts by Kevin T. Ryan.
one example of what he wrote is:
"You may want to try ZeroBrane Studio:
>> http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane/live-coding-in-lua-bret-victor-style"

after looking at the videos, let me know what you think. youtube has some great videos.
look at the zues editor for Lua videos
thanks and enjoy.