kevin, thanks you much. it does seem to offer what i wanted but the problem is i would be locked into an ide that does not seem to offer much else.

there has to be a simple way to dynamically reload code as needed via a console/command.line or other simple solution.
if visual basic from microsoft can do it and python can do it, then why should i be an issue for Lua.
even visual basic 6.0 from 10 years ago can do that.

it seems to me this such a feature is a pre-requisite for learning any language, espcially a lightweight scripting language.
so does anybody have any other suggestions?
thanks in advance