I am not a Lua expert so I don't know how it handles this.

To modify code inside a debugger or IDE is the easy part. The interesting part is doing it in running production systems. For that you need a very clear definition of what it means to load code and how this affects the system. For example if you reload a function which someone is executing how will it be affected. You need support from the underlying system/implementation to do this. I come from another world, erlang, where this is defined and it is only because it is defined that you can dynamically manage code at runtime.

So something similar would be needed in Lua to do this properly. It depends, of course, whether this is a goal for the language or not.

Robert

Philippe, thanks for the reply.
so i am been programming in Basic for over 38 years.
my first computer had a version of basic hand-coded by bill gates, in the 1970's.

yes, it is true that visual basic does require the use of an IDE but visual basic for application does have a interactive console.
yes, i use print() and that works  and only for people who cannot do edit-and-continue are doomed to be punished with just print().
not a very nice solution when i am trying to teach programming concepts to children.

lol, i used to program using punch cards on an ibm mainframe, perhaps we should downgrade back to that, who needs keyboards anyway...

since i first asked my question, and based on some posts and doing some research, edit-and-continue can in fact be done for Lua from the interactive console.

it is much more then a crutch or convenience.
anybody that has not tried it should not trivialize it.
all the more so for Lua.
Lua is designed to be a embedded solution, often used by non-programmers.
for example, arrays indexes start from 1, not zero.

you should take a look at the posts by Kevin T. Ryan.
one example of what he wrote is:
"You may want to try ZeroBrane Studio:
>> http://notebook.kulchenko.com/zerobrane/live-coding-in-lua-bret-victor-style"

after looking at the videos, let me know what you think. youtube has some great videos.
look at the zues editor for Lua videos
thanks and enjoy.