On May 2, 2012, at 7:24 AM, steve donovan wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Easy enough to say e.g.
>>    local inject = ml.insertvalues
>> In such cases Microlight should prefer long but descriptive
>> to snappy but cryptic function names.
>
> That's the idea - let the user get as cryptic as they like, but this
> is not Fortran or Unix on a teleprinter.

Actually, it is. See the recently mentioned string.find, string.match, string.gmatch. I think there is room for arguments, but an appeal to match the existing spirit of Lua's library is not a good argument.

I am comfortable with "you just have to learn some words" if there are not a lot of them and are used frequently. You have to learn the semantics of the operations as well; people learn in different ways, but I think the name is a small problem in this case.

Jay