On Apr 17, 2012, at 11:08 AM, chris wrote:

> Therein is your fallacy.

I personally sympathize with your plight. And I would further surmise that most of us went through the same five stages of grief related to that very same issue.

At a more practical level, you have three main options:

(1) Fork Lua and go your merry way
(2) Patch Lua to your liking and share your handy work
(3) Grok the length operator "as is" and get on doing whatever things you meant to do with Lua in the first place