I started a pure-Lua module similar to this a while back:

https://github.com/hoelzro/lua-repl

The main diffeerence (other than being pure Lua) was that mine is
independent of the terminal (you could use it in a Quake-style console
in a 3D game) and of an event loop (you invoke its methods as needed).
I was also hoping to add plugins in a 0.2 release.

-Rob