Alexander Gladysh <agladysh@gmail.com> writes:
>> Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> writes:
>>> http://.../are-you-sure-you-want-to-use-gpl/
>>
>> Er, that's exactly the sort of gratuitous flamebait we're trying to avoid...
>
> I disagree. This looks like a reasonably polite phrase to me.

The author makes some (not entirely successful) attempt to avoid using
overtly inflammatory _language_, but it's very clear from the start
that he doesn't like the GPL and is trying dissuade people from using
it.

... and it has some real gems, like this:

   I guess this is also what Steve Ballmer referred to as “cancer”.
   Unfortunately he's not entirely wrong there.

and this:

   The people behind the GPL have a very communistic point of view in
   terms of freedom: free software should be available to everybody
   under the same terms.  Unfortunately like communism it does not
   work out that well because it turns out humans are not really
   compatible to that way to look at things.

Yup, you guessed it folks:  if you use the GPL, YER A COMMIE!

<pause to roll eyes>

What we want (or at least what _I_ want) is a dispassionate
description of the practical effects of various licenses with the
intent that the user make the decision for himself -- and the above
certainly isn't that!

-miles

--
Custard, n. A vile concoction produced by a malevolent conspiracy of the hen,
the cow, and the cook.