I believe lua5.2 and lua5.1 overwrite each other and use the same
shared library name in the default make files, so make sure Lua5.1 was
installed last.  LuaRocks is the package management tool specific to
Lua and documentation is available online[1]. If you are looking for a
generic package manager and installation tool on OSX you could try
MacPorts[2], but this is an operating system specific tool and not a
Lua specific tool.

[1] http://luarocks.org/en/Documentation
[2] http://www.macports.org/
[3] http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=lua