On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Maybe instead of swiss-army-knife packages, some sort of "micro
> module" concept, with single-function (or just a few functions)
> modules in some clever namespace and an easy tool to keep your app's
> "micro module set" updated from a central repo...

That's why I like Jay's soar and Mathew's Squish - you 'link' against
your available batteries and the tool generates a self-sufficient
script that only pulls in the needed modules [1].  This allows easier
deployment and you may code as you see fit.

With soar, I got a working ldoc single-file in just under 9,000 lines
(just over a third is battery code).

I'm working on a kit that will do a custom build of Lua 5.2 containing
the needed external C extensions, and using lhf's srlua to make
self-contained executables.  Getting on nicely, and a boon for those
who need to share programs with Windows or OS X people who don't have
a standard package manager [2]

steve d.
[1]  Ah, the Holy Grail is dead-code elimination, but that requires
pretty solid static analysis (David M's LuaInspect would be a good
starting point) or run-time trace analysis.
[2] Contemplating using soar's static/dynamic analysis as input to a
.deb generator, so that if a module can be mapped to a Debian/Ubuntu
package, add that to the .deb's dependencies.