On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 08:17, Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

>>> Batteries perhaps?
>>
>> Some have been using "batteries" to refer to roughly the set of well
>> regarded libraries seen in distributions like LuaForWindows ("Lua
>> for Windows is a 'batteries included environment' for the Lua
>> scripting language on Windows").  It includes more focused libraries
>> like luasocket, luafilesystem, LuaBitOp, lpeg, etc., many of which I
>> find harder to live without than the so-called standard libraries
>> (penlight, stdlib, etc...).  Members of the former set tend to do
>> one thing and do it right.  The latter set I've been more
>> apprehensive about (and haven't actually used beyond
>> experimentation).
>
> I agree with this.
>
> Many "more focused libraries," including those you mention, have
> become defacto standards in the Lua community, and generally seem to
> be of pretty high quality.
>
> This doesn't seem to be the case for any "miscellaneous" libraries, so
> I'm a bit more wary of them.

As you well should. Note that I'm quite explicitly not advertising
lua-nucleo in the announcement :-)

> Maybe such an approach works for languages where bloat is basically
> accepted, but I don't think it flies with Lua.

Well, it kind of works within a limited ecosystem suited for such
library. It wouldn't work for the general public.

It is a permanent TODO item for us to split chunks off lua-nucleo and
put them to nice separate library. But so far there was little
progress on the matter. Perhaps next year... or rather when someone
would ask for something nice from it to reuse (like maybe
tstr/tserialize).

Alexander.