Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> writes:
> The difference may be just the default value for some GC parameters.
> (That would also explain why 5.2 is faster; it may be running the GC
> less agressively, and therefore trading memory for time.)

Can you recommend any parameter changes to make the 5.2 garbage
collector more "5.1-like"?

As far as I can tell, the parameters described in the documentation --
"pause" and "stepmul" -- are to be the same in both 5.1 and 5.2
(200 for both)...

[BTW is there a way to get these parameters without changing them?
The only way I could see is to call e.g. "collectgarbage ('setpause')"
to get the old value and then call it again to _restore_ the old
value (the above call sets it to zero!)...]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!