> Can you recommend any parameter changes to make the 5.2 garbage
> collector more "5.1-like"?

To make the collector more agressive you must increase its stepmul. By
how much I do not know (see below).

> As far as I can tell, the parameters described in the documentation --
> "pause" and "stepmul" -- are to be the same in both 5.1 and 5.2
> (200 for both)...

Yes, but the GC has many (actually too many) somewhat-arbitrary
constants and formulas that changed from 5.1 to 5.2. (These constants
and formulas are mainly related to the "costs" of each GC step, such as
traversing a table or sweeping an object.)

> [BTW is there a way to get these parameters without changing them?

Yes. See your own answer ;)

  The only way I could see is to call e.g. "collectgarbage ('setpause')"
  to get the old value and then call it again to _restore_ the old
  value (the above call sets it to zero!)...]

-- Roberto