Thanks again!

OK I will try a new build.   One question: I have LuaSockets 2.0.2 are you saying that to use this I need to revert to 5.1 or is it a question of it may work but not for certain?

You are correct I used make not make install.  Do I need "make install" to build Lua also?  I tried using "make macosx"  per the instructions, they do not mention install.

Following the instructions on the LuaSockets web site I added these two lines to bash:
LUA_PATH=/usr/local/share/lua/5.0/?.lua;?.lua
LUA_CPATH=/usr/local/lib/lua/5.0/?.so;?.so

it sounds like I need to edit these to point to 5.2   (or 5.1 if I need to revert)
It may also be significant that when I start a terminal session I get the following two messages:
-bash: ?.lua: command not found
-bash: ?.so: command not found
which are the part of those commands after the ;
is there something wrong with this?