Thanks

The make install is not moving files, it leaves them in the src directory.  I agree there seems to be some configuration issue but I dont know how to solve it.  I have Lua 5.2 but when I compile it make also does not move the files.  I have placed files from  Lua binaries in /usr/local/bin and the liblua.a file in /usr/local/lib.

When you say that core.so is not finding the C API do you mean it cant find liblua.a?  Or could this have somthing to do with the fact I used Lua binaries?

BTW I have 5.2 but I noticed that the package path has 5.0 in it so I installed luasockets in directories with 5.0