Some simple ideas:

* old CRT + old joysticks + some wood = coffe table with 1980's games
* thermometer + relay + some plastic = machine to make Joghurt or cheese
* two wheels, batteries, motors, sensors + paint = robot to draw political slogans on the sidewalk
* motors + pen + paper = turtle 2.0 !
* USB camera + projector + buttons + drapery = kit for shadow theater
* speakers + sensors + leds in a tree = yelling Christmas tree when kids get too close
* plug an USB MIDI keyboard (+wifi) = MIDI to network adaptator
* two step motors with mirrors + laser = laser projector
* sensors + USB GSM = alarm

Gaspard

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Like everyone else, I'm enamored with the idea of a tiny, fanless,
> $35.00 computer that can be used to do special little tasks. Trouble
> is, I can't find a special task it's capable of doing that I'd like it
> to do.

> It can't plug into a normal monitor (or even the old TVs we have around the house),

??? and why ??? It has HDMI and composite RCA connector. So even on 30 year old TV it will work.

> Adding Lua to this machine makes it pretty much capable of anything
> that can be done within its limited memory,

Limited memory ???? My web server (Apache, PHP5, postgresql + some batch scripts) rans for years on a SparcStation 5, SparcClassic 110Mhz with 96 MB ram and it fill very comfortable on such hardware (I had enough memory left to run backup application like POVRay). It was headless (no graphical display, no X), but I have also a PC with 128 Mo of RAM under Gentoo and it is working fine as well (providing you visit websites with large / numerous images).

When it disk died, it was replaced by a stuck PC with 256Mo, under Ubuntu and I have added a media player that convert AVI to MPG2 on the fly for my settopbox ...

> Any ideas?

Without adding anything, it can be the head of my network (dns, dhcp, (t)ftp, cups, ...). And with an external drive, it can serve my web side : The external drive is only because my site is very large.

As it has as well lot of I/O capabilities (GPIO, I2C, PWM ...) I'm thinking also to automatize my railways models but as some electronic will have to be added, it's for the future.

This box has an enormous amount of possibilities :)

The only problem is to get one :)

--

                                                               Gaspard