I should mention that Sierra Wireless does a lot of quasi-embedded development in Lua on targets similar in power to Raspberry Pi.

The company hasn't open-sourced its I/O oriented libraries, and I don't know what are the official plans wrt this, but some interesting bricks have been released under MIT already, including a collaborative scheduler, a scheduler-aware variant of LuaSocket, an interactive Lua shell over telnet, advanced logs management, and a handful of smaller utilities.

These have proved an excellent base to structure Linux-based embedded systems (and have been successfully ported to much smaller architectures too).

https://github.com/SierraWireless/luasched