[off list]

Hi Cynthia.  A couple of weeks ago I had to do something very similar:
In the product I'm working on someone had applied the 5.1 EGC patch to
a modified versin of lua-5.1, and I had to go through and make its
inclusion conditional on a compile-time flag instead of always being
applied, which involved examining every modification is makes
individually. That wasn't too hard, just tedious, taking two or three
hours plus some testing.

Someone said that the 5.0 VM is similar to the 5.1 one and that the
patch already almost applies cleanly. so it might be worth trying.

If I can be of help in doing this, let me know. My rates for open
source work are modest.

Good luck!