Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:

> [Hmm, that brings to mind another question:  How much of the input
> string does it have to accumulate in memory?  Can it start discarding
> earlier portions of it at some point?  If not, it wouldn't be so useful
> for the use I have in mind: parsing really big files without needing to
> have them entirely in memory.]

lpeg doesn't bother trying to discard unneeded string prefixes. In theory
it can only discard the prefix of a string that is not covered by any
captures and which has no alternation backtracking points in it.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Rockall, Malin: South 5 to 7, decreasing 4 at times in Malin. Moderate or