On 11-11-17 4:55 AM, "Philippe Lhoste" <PhiLho@GMX.net> wrote:

>On 14/11/2011 19:11, Benjamin Cabé wrote:
>> The Eclipse Koneki development team is pleased to announce the
>> availability of its Lua Development Tools, that can be installed via the
>> Koneki update site (see explanations at the bottom of this message).
>> Not only Lua Development Tools is providing you with the features you
>> would expect from any IDE (syntax highlighting, code folding, ...), but
>> really nice addition is that we include a real Lua debugger, well
>> integrated in the IDE (thanks to Eclipse DLTK, actually).
>> We are relying on Metalua for source code analysis ; and thanks to
>>JNLua,
>> the tooling is cross-platform! :-)
>[...]
>> To give Lua Development Tools a try, it is super easy: just add the
>>Koneki
>> update site [1] to your Eclipse 3.6+ installation (Help>  Install New
>> Software...), and install "Lua Development Tools (Incubator)".
>>
>> Please visit http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt
>> <http://eclipse.org/koneki/ldt/>  to learn more about the project,
>>watch a
>> quick screencast, access the documentation regarding the debugger, etc.
>> Bugs or feature requests should be filed in our Bugzilla [2].
>
>This looks very interesting, I should try it.
>
>A remark, about this announcement, and the page you link to: with a
>glance, it is hard to
>tell if the product is commercial, open source (with which license?) or
>other...
>There are hints: the fact the project seems to be an official Eclipse
>one, the access to
>the source code... So I can suppose it is open source, likely to be under
>the EPL license.

I agree wholeheartedly with this comment.

>But since there are commercial IDEs for Lua, and commercial plug-ins for
>Eclipse, I think
>it is better to be explicit about this.
>
>Just a kind advice. Looks great, and the page is very professional. :-)
>
>It is a bit funny to use a behemoth like Eclipse to work on a lightweight
>language like
>Lua, but some people (lot of Java programmers, some C/C++ ones, etc.)
>already have the
>IDE, so it is not a real problem...

What is interesting to me is that as a company whose product contains an
integrated Lua interpreter we've invested time in integrating LuaEclipse
into our project and contributing fixes and changes back to that project,
I'm hoping that this team is working with Jason Santos and the various
folks who've cloned that git repository to make sure we're not stepping
backwards.

That being said, since our embedded UI development suite Crank Storyboard
(http://www.cranksoftware.com/storyboard) is Eclipse based and we are
heavy Lua users we're happy to pledge our support to this new Eclipse
project if the community consensus is that that is where Lua Eclipse IDE
lovers should congregate.

Congratulations guys!  We look forward to working with you!

Thomas
--
Thomas Fletcher
Crank Software Inc.

There is a better way to build user interfaces for embedded devices.
Download a 30 day evaluation
<http://www.cranksoftware.com/products/eval.php> of Crank Storyboard Suite
today