On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Jeff Pohlmeyer
<yetanothergeek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Natanael Copa wrote:
>

>> So we (Alpine Linux) are playing with the idea of having an init
>> system with lua for Linux.
>
> Sounds like a great idea!

It is still just an idea and will probably take some time before start
implementing.

>> This means that if we want have the possibility to have /usr on
>> separate partition we must move Lua out from /usr.
>

> Not sure if this is relevant, and I'm certainly not endorsing it
> (as a matter of fact, it made me want to scream!), but it might
> be worth a read, just for general info:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken

Well yes, that is pretty much a triggering factor for wanting do an
init system with lua as core component.

Also as that article says, part of the problem is that various things
needed by udev are in /usr (pci ids etc) which triggers the next idea:
daemon like hotplug2 that reads uevents from netlink socket, but
instead of udev rules run lua scripts....

The main problem with those ideas are not the core framework but all
the things around (i.e the init.d scripts that needs porting and the
udev helper programs and udev rules...)

--
Natanael Copa