> That said, in the specific case of (set|get)fenv, as this can be reimplemented in terms of 5.2's _ENV, why remove it? Why not simply leave it in 5.2, but implement it in terms of _ENV?

Because forcing those who are interested in 5.2 to rethink their use of setfenv
can lead to better programs. I mean, we expect that in many cases programs
will be clearer with _ENV instead of setfen, even if this means that they
have to be partially rewritten.

All this has been discussed to death before, so I think we''d better drop it.