I'm not sure if its the best way, but in Archlinux 'python' is python3
and  'python2' is 2.7.

I don't really know what is alpine's philosophy, but since arch is
meant to be very customizable and is used mostly by intermediate and
advanced users, anyone who wants 'python' to mean 'python2' can just
install from source or alias the whole thing...

--
Sent from my mobile device

NI!