2011/11/3 Patrick Rapin <toupie300@gmail.com>:
>>> To play devil's advocate a little here -- why can this 'virtualisation layer'
>>> not be LuaFilesystem ?
>>
>> Well, that's it - require 'lfs' is a very common way to start writing
>> a program ;)
>
> True, there is a common goal between LuaFileSystem and the proposed
> virtualization system.
>
> But all the 12 functions I have previously listed, like dofile,
> io.open or os.execute, are not in LuaFileSystem but in the standard
> library distribution. So you are talking about a more generalized
> version of lfs, not the current 1.5 version.
> Also, even in lfs 1.5, supporting UTF-8 for Windows filenames like in
> my example would require a lot of modifications.

It didn't seem like a lot when I did it. In my Windows builds, I patch
Lua [1] and LFS [2] to use UTF-8 encoding for all filenames.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/doub/electronmeat/src/tip/srcweb/lua-5.1.4/lua-wstring.patch
[2] https://bitbucket.org/doub/electronmeat/src/tip/srcweb/luafilesystem-1.2.1/win32-utf-8.patch