It is probably already too late to introduce a small feature in the
upcoming Lua 5.2, so such a big feature will have to wait until at
least Lua 5.3 ...
This apart, I like very much that proposal. If such a file system
visualization existed in 5.1, I could have used it to load modules
from a ZIP file, instead of patching Lua source code.
And I could have written a driver for our printer firmware pseudo file
system, instead of removing the "io" library and writing a custom
binding.
So yes, it is definitely a good idea. I just fear that it could
generate a huge amount of code when everything is put together.