>> To play devil's advocate a little here -- why can this 'virtualisation layer'
>> not be LuaFilesystem ?
>
> Well, that's it - require 'lfs' is a very common way to start writing
> a program ;)

True, there is a common goal between LuaFileSystem and the proposed
virtualization system.

But all the 12 functions I have previously listed, like dofile,
io.open or os.execute, are not in LuaFileSystem but in the standard
library distribution. So you are talking about a more generalized
version of lfs, not the current 1.5 version.
Also, even in lfs 1.5, supporting UTF-8 for Windows filenames like in
my example would require a lot of modifications.