On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at> wrote:
> Stefan Reich <stefan.reich.maker.of.eye@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The mobile code revolution is one that is still strangely lacking from
>> computer science - and I believe it is imminent.
>
> The world wide web has had mobile code for sixteen years. Why is it
> lacking?

You're talking about Java and JavaScript I assume?

Here's a list of the limitations:

* Everything has to happen in a browser.
* Mobility is limited: It is server-to-client only.
* Only virgin code travels. Once code runs, it is stuck in one machine.
* Quite restrictive sandboxes. Java only offers a choice between
"allow very little" and "allow anything". We want to be more flexible
there, ultimately. Granted, this is a thing of future improvement.

We want to go far beyond the browser as an execution environment.

Stefan