On 10/31/2011 12:24 PM, Jon Akhtar wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 5:46 PM, Jimmie Houchin <jlhouchin@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/26/2011 3:02 PM, Jon Akhtar wrote:
Have you tried the Lua plugin for IntelliJ IDEA? https://bitbucket.org/sylvanaar2/lua-for-idea/wiki/Home

No, I have not.

I downloaded a gave it a quick cursory view.

I am in general not a big fan of Java based IDEs. They are incredibly heavy, memory intensive and waste motion and visual space for things that don't really matter if you are not using Java.

I created a single Lua project and opened a single Lua script. 150Mb of ram.

I have SciTE open with about 20 files and it uses 1.5 Mb of ram.

Now I know SciTE will not do everything that the Lua plugin will do. But I would rather learn how to script SciTE and improve its user experience.

Reviews like this that don't even explore any of the features that the plugin provides don't do it any justice. "I didn't really look at it, just how much memory it used" /shrug

My apologies.

I never intended to review the plugin. My comments were never intended to be a review of the plugin.

You politely offered a suggestion. I simply thought I would honor your suggestion with a reply. I thought you deserved that much. I just did not want to not reply and think I didn't see or ignored your post.

I looked at it sufficiently to know it wasn't what I wanted at this point in time. It is heavy, more complex and complicated than I wanted to spend my time on. The IDE is more than your plugin. It is a complex Java application that is very Java-centric. It isn't a world I live in and not one I want to spend the time to become comfortable with. Your plugin might be absolutely fantastic. I don't know.

An honest review would have taken more time than I wanted or had available to invest.

My apologies if you expected or wanted more in a reply. I just didn't want to leave you hanging and not provide any sort reasons at all.

I don't have the time, or the inclination to try and review all of the offered solutions. And I appreciate all of the offers. But I do believe all the offered solutions do deserve a polite reply.

And thank you for your suggestion. While I might not use it at this time. I can't rule out the future. And somebody else might find it exactly what they need.

Jimmie Houchin