On 10/19/2011 7:12 AM, steve donovan wrote:
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Patrick Mc(avery
<patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>  wrote:
If Python runs something in 200ms and Lua runs it in 50ms I don't
care, it's
still a blink of an eye.

Ah, but many of us work with dinky little processors, and even now
that smartphones are more powerful than 70s mainframes, you still have
the iron law that inefficiency is costly in power use.  Battery
evolution has been fantastic, but there are limits.

Python is so much easier to learn then Lua

Not sure how generally true that is. If we took some young noobs and
gave them a feature-rich Lua environment, then I think there's less
gotchas than in Python, which has so many types and special syntax to
handle them.  ('feature-rich' is however the catch!)

I agree. I use Python regularly because I am familiar with it. It has lots of libraries. But I never use it long enough to become really good at it, because it is too easy to bang your head against syntax issues. Its been too long, so I don't remember what they are.

Lua on the other I believe is simpler and much more consistent. I believe Lua the language can be reasonably understood and potentially mastered. Now I mean that withing the context of your use. I am not a C user, so I would not necessarily understand embedding or using those features.

I would dearly love Lua to have sufficient libraries to reduce or eliminate any need or desire for me to use Python.

It wouldn't have to be a part of Lua proper, (core/kernel/...?). But could simply be a Lua distribution which is full featured.

Is this "feature-rich" Lua environment available anywhere?

I am presently using Lua for Windows. I don't know what Python has that it doesn't. From brief usage of the Lua interpreter or the iLua (Lua Friendly Command Line), it seems much more primitive than any of the Python interpreters, especially IPython.

I also haven't seen any IDE which is as friendly as PyDev. Scite is not bad, and it could be better. One nice thing is that Scite is not a big memory hog, like most Java based IDEs. I am primarily talking about the editor features.

I think Lua hits a pretty nice sweet spot.
When I watch videos like
Clojure's Rich Hickey, www.infoq.com/presentations/Simple-Made-Easy
or Stuart Holloway,
  http://blip.tv/clojure/stuart-halloway-simplicity-ain-t-easy-4842694

I think a feature-rich Lua both in environment and libraries could be an excellent solution for solving problems in a manner Rich Hickey describes.

I do not know how far or how close Lua is to any of this. But I do know that the Lua out of the box experience isn't as feature-rich as other languages. I don't know how to get my environment there. And I think that is a shame, because Lua is a beautiful language.

I am open to learning anything that gets my Lua setup and experience closer to what I can experience in Python. And actually I find the Python experience primitive, as I am a long time Smalltalker. :)

Jimmie Houchin