Your summary seems fair enough, but I don't maintain packages.

Package maintainers live in a different world than I do, and it seems
to be the same world that contains autotools.

I do see that CMake has or can have a thing called CPack, which is
supposed to enable automatic generation of various kinds of packages.
I don't know how well it works.

I also know that some people are using SCons to automate package building.

The problem, as I do recognize, is that the people who e.g. maintain
Debian, or who maintain packages for different operating systems, feel
that they must take a "lowest common denominator" approach to their
toolkit. This is the philosophy underlying autotools themselves.

The resulting complexity is a wonder to behold.

In one of the systems I help maintain, a rather large and complex
project called Csound which runs on Windows, OS X, and Linux, and
which contains many options and languages, the maintainer of the
Debian package (who is not me) must produce a special build with his
own extra steps. I think he even has to patch the Csound source code.
I don't know if he uses any autotools stuff. (The Csound build system
itself uses SCons with a single SConstruct file and a customizable
file with lib/include paths etc.)

If I were the package maintainer, I would try to bring it all into
SCons, starting with the approach of
http://www.qandr.org/quentin/writings/debscons.

Regards,
Mike